Our style of martial arts is in the direct lineage of the Song Moo Kwan which was founded by Grandmaster Byong Jick Ro. The teachings of Grandmaster Ro were brought to the United States from Korea by several trustworthy students. One of whom was Il Joo Kim.
One of Grandmaster Kim's first students was Bob Chaney.
Grand Master Chaney continued to carry on the traditions of the Song Moo Kwan Kuk Ki Ryu while pursuing the knowledge of Muay Thai kickboxing as well as other martial arts. The teachings of Grand Master Chaney were entrusted to Master Gary Mattevi who continues to carry on the traditions of the Song Moo Kwan Kuk Ki Ryu, the teachings of Grand Master Chaney while pursuing the knowledge of other martial arts.
Master Gary Mattevi
Master Mattevi is currently a seventh degree black belt, an inductee in the International Karate & Kickboxing Hall of Fame and an inductee in the Martial Arts Museum of America.
Master Mattevi began his training in September, 1974 under Grand Master Bob Chaney. His martial arts accomplishments include:
- Promoted to first degree black belt, 1977
- Began Gary Mattevi's Martial Arts Academy, Inc, a full-time professional martial arts academy, in 1994
- Inductee in the International Karate & Kickboxing Hall of Fame, 1996
- Promoted to sixth degree black belt, 2001
- Received the title of Renshi (martial arts expert technician), 2002
- Promoted to seventh degree black belt on March 6, 2007
- Promoted to Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu under Master Pedro Sauer, August 20, 2011
Mrs. Kim Mattevi
Mrs. Mattevi is currently a fourth degree black belt, the founder and head instructor of On Alert Self-Defense and program director of the Mini Ninjas (preschool karate). She was an adjunct Instructor a Lake Superior College (2003 - 2010) and co-owner of the martial arts academy.
Mrs. Mattevi began her training in 1993 in the Song Moo Kwan. Her martial arts accomplishments include:
- Promoted to first degree black belt, 1998
- Over 10 years of tournament competition
- Diamond Nationals Karate Tournament first place winner, 1997
- Certified personal trainer
- Certified rape prevention instructor
- Participant in Minnesota Police Defensive Tactics
- Developed the curriculum us in the pre-school karate program
- Founder and Master Instructor of On Alert Self-Defense™, 1998
- Promoted to third degree black belt, 2003
- Promoted to fourth degree black belt, March 6, 2007
Mr. Hayden Buckner
Mr. Buckner is currently a third degree black belt. He began his training in 1997 under the instruction of Mrs. Mattevi.